The following are some notes from The Global Leadership Summit (Willow Creek Association) presentation by Liz Wiseman taken from her book Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter. As leaders in Christ’s church we are stewards of those that Jesus calls to join our team including their talents, creative ideas, and passions. Liz says that leaders can either be a Diminisher or a Multiplier.
The diminsher actually has a draining influence of those they lead. They shut down others creativity and de-motivate team members. They get less production/results, retard growth and actually diminish those that work with them.
- The Empire Builder – hoards resources and underutilizes talent
- The Tryant – creates a tense environment that suppresses people’s thinking and capability
- The Know-It-All – gives directes that showcase how much they know
- The Decision Maker – makes centralized abrupt decisions that confuse the organization
- The Micro-Manager – drives results through their personal involvement
The multiplier engages and draws the best out of those he leads. Those that follow grow and progress beyond themselves. The actual production of the team is greater than the sum of the parts.
- The Talent Magnet – attracts talented people and uses them at their highest point of contribution
- The Liberator – creates an intense environment that requires people’s best thinking and work
- The Challenger – defines an opportunity that causes people to stretch
- The Debate Maker – drives sound decisions through rigorous debate
- The Investor – gives other people the ownership for results and invests in their success